The Thought-Night: Halo Braid Tutorial

Monday 14 July 2014


I've decided to start a new segment on my blog that will occur once every two weeks, so basically once a fortnight, hence the title. It will differ in content every post (from baking to photo diaries) but will focus on things that I have been doing in my personal life, which I hope will also be interesting to you guys, as recently I feel my blog has become dominated by all things outfit posts and you aren't really able to get to know me as a person, which I always love to do whilst reading a blog. If this does however sound completely uninteresting to you, then just steer clear of 'the thought-night posts' posts. It's also a great way for me to be able to document things that I enjoyed and experienced. A momento.

This first post was actually inspired by a few people stopping me in shops asking how I did my hair and Alice Young from The Velvet Black who made me consider that people would actually want to read this kind of blog post. I was first inspired myself by blogger Zoe London and giving it a go found it was surprisingly easy and a really effective hairstyle. I know there are already a wide variety of these tutorials on the web but as I am a huge lover of the style decided to share one myself. Now, I'll be the first person to say that I'm not all that great at styling hair but below is a step by step guide of how to do a milkmaid/halo braid. I hope it's sufficient!

Step One: Part your hair evenly on both sides to create two ponytails.
You can use a comb to create a more neat look but I prefer it to look a little messy, plus I am lazy.

Step Two: With your hair tucked behind your ear plait one side of your hair.

Step Three: Secure with a clear elastic.

Or any elastic you can find.

Step Four: A bit of an optional step, but I like to spray my hair with hairspray to ensure there are fewer breakaways from the plaits throughout the day and for peace of mind.

Step Five: Repeat the same process on the other side of your head.

Step Six: Loosen the plaits to create the effect of a thicker plait.
If you have thick hair I am completely jealous as this style looks even greater.

Step Seven: Grab a few bobby pins.

Step Eight: Secure one side to the top of your head with a bobby pin near the front.
I say near the front but you could also secure further back to go for a slightly different style.
Step Nine: Secure the other side to your head in the same way and try to disguise any elastics and bobby pins as well as possible. Don't worry too much on the disguise part it never seems to come out perfect.

Step Ten: Gently release a few strands of hair from either side of your head.


Step Eleven: Curl, I use straighteners, to create a defined wave/curl.
and VOILA you have yourself a milkmaid/halo braid.




4 comments:

  1. Glad I was one of the reasons you have started this new series, definitely looking forward to reading more posts! I love the halo braids but my hair is too short to do them annoyingly!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah good! Thanks for the little push and inspiration even if you didn't know you were giving any aha. Mine was the same before, upsides and downsides to both lengths really!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
© MAYFLOWER Maira Gall.